Though GMO is no laughing matter, I had to laugh when I heard this alternate interpretation of GMO (which stands for Genetically Modified Organisms in case you didn’t know).
This past week I’ve been listening/watching the exceptionally well done docu-series “GMOs Revealed”. What an eye opener! Though I’ve read a lot about the subject, it strengthened my resolve to remain GMO free myself and pass along the message to you. Knowledge is power but even better is acting on that knowledge.
And you know what? Animals are known to avoid GMO foods! They are smarter than we are. A farmer intended to conduct an experiment with squirrels and bought a bag of GM and non-GM corn each. The bags stayed in his shed because he forgot about it. When he came across the bags the mice had eaten the non-GM corn, but left the GM corn untouched.
In another study, scientists force fed mice GM tomatoes (they refused to eat them on their own). 7 out of 20 mice developed stomach lesions. Another 7 of 40 died within 2 weeks.
Just like with every hot subject, you’ll find the anti- and pro-GMO opinions. There is nothing wrong with experimenting as long as the experiment is contained until we have evidence that it is safe and healthy. That would be obvious to all truly intelligent humans. But GMOs have been spread into the environment and are taking over the world by infiltrating every aspect of our lives and our lovely planet. We don’t know the extent of change their use will create but so far, we see a steady increase of sick animals and humans parallel to the introduction of GM foods. Overuse of herbicides such as Roundup has created super weeds and the amount of pesticide and herbicide use has increased significantly.
Banfield publishes data based on the ailments they see in their patients. For example in just 5 years (2006-2011) they have seen a 90% increase in obesity in cats (37% in dogs). Cancer rates are skyrocketing as well. I’ve been trying to figure out why such a huge change in just a few years? It’s not like people are all of a sudden feeding their cats twice as much food. There has to be another reason and maybe it is GMO and everything that goes with it.
After all, cat, dog, horse and human food is filled with GMO produce. If you buy a bag of food containing soy, corn, wheat middlings and beet pulp you are pretty much guaranteed to feed your animal GMO food.
Here are just some of the not so pleasant facts about GMOs:
- Disruption of DNA which is detrimental to our animals’ and our health. Only short-term studies (90 days) have been done.
- Animal studies indicate serious health risks … including infertility, immune dysregulation (allergies, cancer, autoimmune), smaller brains, accelerated aging, dysregulation of genes associated with cholesterol synthesis, insulin regulation, cell signaling, and protein formation, and changes in the liver, kidney, spleenand gastrointestinal system.
- Damages every organ system in the body within 10 days.
- Heavily sprayed with Roundup(Glyphosate). Glyphosate is water soluble and ends up in our water. In the south, 75% of air samples and rainfall contain Roundup. Roundup stays in the environment for 50-60 years.
- Plants lack nutrients because Glyphosate is a chelator, binding nutrients in the soil and making them unavailable to the plant.
- GM Plants produce altered proteins and metabolites that negatively affect the body. Proteins get folded, and the folding might be different in the new organism. A protein’s shape can determine its effect and a misfolded protein, or an aggregate of several misfolded proteins together, can be quite harmful. Prions are one form of a misfolded protein that is responsible for mad cow disease and the human variant, while amyloid fibrils are an example of aggregate proteins (plaques) linked to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases. Plaques are also found in dogs and cats with dementia.
- Bt GM crops produce Bt toxins at 3-5 thousand times more than found in insecticide sprays. Bt toxin kills our gut microbiome that is supposed to – among other substances – produce neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine. Anyone wonder why so many animals suffer from behavioral issues? Or humans from Parkinson’s, depression, anxiety…? And what about all the food sensitivities, allergies, IBD, colics in horses,etc.?
- Bt toxin found in blood of 93% of pregnant women and 80% of unborn fetuses.
- Bt toxin makes holes in the walls of human cells, causing leakage. The authors suggested that this may be the same way that Bt-toxin kills insects. It might also be a causative factor in digestive disorders and permeable intestines (aka. leaky gut)
- Genes from GM foods can transfer to human intestinal bacteria. If the promoter or “ON switch” is transferred, it can permanently turn on some random gene, forcing it to overproduce a protein around the clock. That protein may be an allergen, toxin, anti-nutrient, or carcinogen produced inside our gut bacteria or possibly from within our own cell’s DNA. If antibiotic or virus resistant genes transfer, they might create super diseases. If Bt genes were to transfer, our gut bacteria might turn into aliving pesticide factory.
- Large amounts of chemical residues because GM crop is made to survive being drowned in pesticides and herbicides.
- Glyphosate up-regulates gliadin receptors in the intestines, causing an increase in gluten sensitivity
- Glyphosate also destroys villi in the gut as well as plants (roots), decreasing absorption of nutrients.
- At low doses Glyphosate acts as anendocrine disruptor, causing all kinds of hormonal imbalances.
Regulation and control is lacking big time because it’s all about profit even though you will hear GMO promoters say that it will end world hunger or increase yield. Not true! In fact, the biotech industry is known to hide results of studies they’ve done and they control the studies that can be done, because they require permission to study their products.
These are a few more points illustrating the issue with GMO foods.
- “We do know that soon after GM soy was introduced into the UK, soy allergies skyrocketed by 50%.” – Daily Express, March 12, 1999
- “An estimated 125,000 farmers … [took] their own life as a result of the ruthless drive to use India as a testing ground for genetically modified crops” – Daily Mail Nov. 3, 2008
- “Japan and South Korea canceled orders of US wheat.” – NY Times, May 31, 2013. Glyphosate is sprayed on wheat just before harvest in order to get it to ripen more quickly.
- “The process of creating a GM crop creates unpredictable changes in DNA and plant composition. It causes massive collateral damage in the DNA with resulting in alteration of hundreds of proteins and metabolites. For example, Putresin andCadaverin increase (anyone want to eat that?). They are known to cause allergies and cancer. “ – Jeffery Smith
- “A gene that produces an allergen is normally shut down in corn, but in GM corn, it was switched on [causing more allergies].” – J Proteome Res. 2008 May;7(5):1850-61
- “Cooked GM soy contained as much as 7 times the amount of the known soy allergen trypsin inhibitor as cooked non-GMO soy. Monsanto did the study and left the data out of their publication.” – The Journal of Nutrition, vol. 126, no. 4, April 1996
But here are some uplifting facts from “GMOs Revealed”:
- If even 5% of the U.S. population rejected GM brands, it should be more than enough to reach the Tipping Point, since that represents an enormous loss in revenue for foodcompanies..
- We vote with our money – hence, we are in charge! We can stop the madness.
- Big companies already market some as their products as GMO free. Meaning… they hear us and are trying to stay ahead. Still motivated by money, but who cares as long as it’s moving in a better direction?
How can you avoid GMO foods for your animals and yourself?
- Read labels (www.NonGMOshoppingguide.com)
- Chose organically grown food and grass-fed meats and dairy
- Ask for non-GMO options at the store and the restaurant. If enough people request it, it will show up on the shelf or menu.
- Avoid the at-risk ingredients, such as soy protein isolate, lecithin, high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, maltodextrin, and all corn derivatives, canola and cottonseed oil, etc.
I don’t know a bout you, but it breaks my heart to see the damage that’s been done to this beautiful planet and all of its inhabitants. So, please feed your animals a GMO free diet or even better a species-appropriate diet. Vote with your money!